Wednesday, January 7, 2015

What a Welcome

In the vein of looking at things in a different (note that I did NOT say "new") light in 2015, I received quite a welcome back after Christmas Break.  I was OK with the cough that my mother used to call "barking", but the vomiting is a tad out of hand.  I say that this was a welcome because as soon as I walked in the door to my office Monday morning, I got a call from a Kindergarten class asking me to hurry over and contact a Spanish-speaking parent because her daughter had just vomited all over the classroom.  When I got there, I called the parent, but the child was still sitting there at her table, as if nothing at all had happened.  I was coughing, but last night the vomiting kicked in full throttle.  UGH.

Today is my son's 16th birthday.  It seems both so fast and so slowly that he has gotten to this point.  In the state in which I live, the legal age at which a child is no longer required to attend school is 16, so I am hoping that the next few months do not play out as I anticipate that they might.  Being a teacher, I know that a child needs an education.  Being a parent, I know MY child needs an education.  The stories that the kids come home with are always taken with a grain of salt, but when one sees even worse things happening in full view every day in classrooms and hallways, and even in administrator offices, it becomes much more concrete.

I struggle with walking the line between agreeing with my sons that there is something fundamentally wrong with education and my own knowledge of what not getting a piece of paper saying that one has graduated can do to one's future.

Any guidance gratefully accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment